Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Blind Cleaning the Blinds

I hate cleaning miniblinds. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to hate anything, but I really do hate cleaning blinds. All those tiny slats that collect dust and dirt. And the vinyl! Oh, the vinyl! Cat fur, sticky fingerprints, and dust just seems to cling to the vinyl with a determination so fierce you just can't help but admire. You can wipe them all day long and never see any progress. So, how do you get them clean?!?!

I recently read a great book with lots of meaningful advice that gave a very detailed explanation on how to clean miniblinds. The process was complicated and time-consuming and I got exhausted just reading it! I tossed the book aside, muttering, "Forget that!" then stared at my blinds still unsure how to get them clean.

As is my style, I then did more reading on websites and other great books and came up with a plan. It is simple and inexpensive and I promise you will not want to rip all the blinds in your house off the windows. I am happy to share these tips with you.

1. Close blinds. I prefer the front side facing into the room, but some prefer them facing outside. You need to have the front facing you for this process.

2. Microfiber is king. I found a microfiber carwashing mitt at my Dollar Tree that works like a charm. WARNING: some cheap microfibers are made of plastics that can scratch faux wood, natural wood, and metal blinds over time. Make sure to check that yours is soft and thick.

s. Fill a bucket with warm soapy water. I prefer a squirt of castille soap, but a good dishwashing liquid works well too--and it's designed to cut grease.

4. Dunk and swipe. Dip your mitt into the water, wring out the excess, and starting from the top wipe the blinds gently back and forth.

5. Rinse. While blinds are still damp, gently wipe back and forth with another soft cloth dampened with clear water.

6. Turn the blinds the opposite direction and repeat.

This whole process should only take about 10-15 minutes per window. You will thank me for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment