Saturday, May 7, 2011

Step Three: The Alternatives

Now that we have learned what NOT to use to clean your home, let's get to the fun part. I love learning and creating new recipes and testing them in my own home. When I have tested them and found succes, I use them in my cleaning business. The most rewarding statement from a client is: "Wow, what did you use to clean that (tub, sink, floor, etc.)? I haven't been able to get it clean in years!" Proof positive that those commercial products just aren't as effective as they claim.

I am glad to share some of my recipes (specific combinations are my well-guarded formulas, but these are some simple guidelines).

ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER

Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into a clean, new spray bottle. Add 1 teaspoon of castille soap (Dr. Bronner's offers several delightful scents as well as a free and clear option). Fill with water and add 10-20 drops of essential oils to help with the vinegar smell. Shake well before each use.

WOOD CLEANER (Floor or natural, unpainted wood furniture)

Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into a clean, new spray bottle. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and 10-20 drops of a citrus essential oil. Fill with water and shake well before each use.

DISHWASHER DETERGENT

Combine 2 cups each of borax and washing soda. Add 1 cup of oxygen powder (like Oxi-Clean, although, I like the Target store brand as it is less expensive, but equally effective). Add 2 tablespoons of citric acid (found in the canning section of your health food store.) Add 2 or 3 drops of a citrus essential oil. Shake well to combine. Use 2 tablespoons per wash.




LAUNDRY DETERGENT

Combine 1/2 pound of borax, 1/2 pound of baking soda, 1 box of washing soda, and 8 grated bars of unscented castille soap (I use Kirk's as I find Dr. Bronners clumps when added to the borax). Mix very well. Use 2 tablespoons per wash (large-capacity machines may need slighly more). This recipe is EXCELLENT for high-efficiency washers.


Keep watching for more information on money-saving, environmentally friendly, and family friendly products!

No comments:

Post a Comment