Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wipe Around the House


 If you have visited your favorite retailer's cleaning and baby departments, you've probably seen dozens of containers of wipes--wipes to change diapers, wipe boogers, wipe glass, wipe conters, wipe dashboards, wipe wood, and the list goes on!

I admit that I do like the idea of a quick wipe to clean up a small spill. And when we have another baby in our house, I'm certain that I will be using baby wipes all the time. What I don't like is the cost of replacing those disposable wipes. I also don't like the idea of all that waste. You all know me well enough by now to know that I research a lot before I have a final product I feel good about, so this was no exception. I got books from the library about natural baby care and I searched the Internet for recipes. I finally came up with directions and recipes that I am thrilled to share with you now.

First, the recipes:

BABY WIPES

2 cups water
1 tablespoon vitamin E oil (also try jojoba, almond oil, or a combination)
1 tablespoon liquid castille soap (I love the Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild)
1/2 teaspoon lavender essential oil
1/2 teaspoon chamomile essential oil
1/2 teaspoon calendula essential oil
1/4 teaspoon tea tree oil

Place all ingredients in a container with a tight lid. Shake very well to combine.


MAKEUP REMOVER WIPES

2 cups water
1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
1 tablespoon liquid castille soap
1 teaspoon tea tree oil

Place all ingredients in a container with a tight lid. Shake very well to combine.


ALL-PURPOSE CLEANING WIPES

1 cup water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoon liquid castille soap
1 teaspoon tea tree oil
1 teaspoon of any other favorite essential oil

Place all ingredients in a container with a tight lid. Shake very well to combine.


And now for the directions:

This is the same for all of the above recipes. However, be sure to select the very softest cottons for your baby's sensitive skin.

I have mentioned before that I save all of the t-shirts that my crew goes through. There is a plastic storage box in the garage that is full of them. This is what I do with them:


Cut a large square from the back of the shirt, cutting away any seams. Cut a large square from the front, but be sure not to use any section with any stitched or printed designs.


From this square cut several smaller squares about 6-8 inches square. Fold each square in half and lay it into a plastic container (I use the plastic pencil containers my girls outgrew after kindergarten and first grade). Pour your well-mixed solution over the squares to fully saturate them. Toss them into a bucket of water, borax, and castille soap after use to await the wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment